Monday, January 20, 2014

Run 1000 21km

I plan on one race per month for 2014 and for January, it was Run 1000 by 7/11.  Like Milo in December, I also kind of lacked long runs.  What can you expect, Christmas season, lol! Actually the only long runs I did from December 8 (Milo) to January 19 (Run 1000) were two 2-hour runs on the treadmill.  I think I will stop doing my long runs on the tread and start being diligent enough to wake up early for the LSDs.  I find that the treadmill is 'too easy' compared to running on the road (I have to maintain my pace, endure the hills, etc).  So anyway, back to Run 1000...

Greg and I left the house an hour before gun start (which has been the routine whether race is in MOA area or BGC).  Got to the venue at around 4:00 AM which was pretty early for 4:30 AM gun start.  So I had time to look around, listen in on other runners' pre-race chika (not my fault, they were talking loudly!).  I was a little upset to find lots of people carrying portable music players when I clearly read on the guidelines that these devices would not be allowed - I normally run with music and so not bringing them was a big sacrifice.  Oh well, didn't want my attention to have to be called for not following rules! Gun start was prompt at 4:30 AM and off we were!

It was my first time at Aseana so I was a little excited.  Kuya Kim earlier greeted the runners as he was also running 21km.  He mentioned that the weather + easy route should be conducive to breaking a PR so I was hopeful.  Throughout the run, I felt pretty strong and did not feel any knee, leg or sole pain.  Although I do think I was running pretty conservatively at around 6:50-7:00 pace, I thought to myself, I wasn't in this for a PR anyway.  Since I didn't do speed training and lacked in the long runs.  I just really wished I could finish sub 2:30.

Did not appreciate that some hydration stations either ran out of drinks or had 2 small tables only, not enough for the thousands of runners! Also did not like how about the last 400 meters of the race was so crowded! :S I wish it were less narrow.  Also, the distribution of loot bags/shirts took too long :(

I ended up with a time of 2:27.  Sub 2:30! Thank You, Lord!

My next run will be in my alma mater, Ateneo de Manila University, where I will be running 21km for special children (No Speed Limit 2014).  I have 2 weeks to work on my speed.  Fight! :)

2 comments: