Monday, January 07, 2013

Back in the Grind

As you can see on top of this page, I wrote,

"Run, teach, change nappies - welcome to my world."

I'd say my life is segmented into those three aspects although I do admit, I almost always talk about running :p Last week Thursday, after 18 days of being off school, I finally had to go back to work.  It was a painful HELLO to all the papers I had to check and documents I had to prepare.  We had two days (Thursday and Friday) to prepare, ergo, no students yet.  Yesterday, Monday, it was the students' turn to feel the back-to-school pains.  I remember as a student I hated the Sunday night feeling when the reality of going back to school on a Monday kicks in.

Anyway, so I met the kids again and although I was longing to be at home, making silly faces to make Liam laugh, it only took me 5 minutes to get back into the groove of teaching - and to remind me all over again why I do what I do.  Within minutes of being around the girls, I instantly felt happy to be back and forgot all feelings of dread.    No, I work not for the money, after all, no one teaches to become rich! But the fulfillment that no other profession gives....and knowing that even in a teeny tiny way, I help change the world.

Some would question me for choosing to be a working mom, having to divide my time between papers to check, lessons to plan and being a mom.  More so adding running and training for a full marathon to that! But I cannot over emphasize how all these three aspects make me who I am and a better me at that.

I am so grateful to have students who make my time away from my son worth it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment