Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Goodbye Injury...?

A week and a half since Condura half-marathon.  Four days before TBRDM 2013...

In between Condura and today, I've only done one 5km, and I walked it - thanks to that injury.  Today, I woke up feeling much, much better.  I think it must have been Fastum and the Celebrex Dr. Rafanan made me take.  I skipped school yesterday to take a chance at Dr. Rafanan's clinic.  CA has been making me go to Dr. Miguel del Prado and because I really could not go all the way to St. Luke's and wait in the clinic all day, I decided to go and see Dr. Rafanan in Medical City (as advised by an athlete cousin).

As with Dr. Del Prado, I also did not have an appointment.  The only difference, Dr. R's secretary was more...encouraging about being a walk-in patient while Dr. DP's did not even offer taking the risk.  So, I took the day off from work yesterday to go to Medical City.  It was my first time there - I've always gone to Cardinal Santos and gave birth there, too (the only time I was ever confined in a hospital).  Although it was quite embarrassing, I had to ask guards for direction, haha! Anyway, back to the topic.

So I got there at 8:30 AM and because I had no appointment, my 'appointment' depended on whether those scheduled would actually show up or not.  Thank God, some didn't (haha) so I got to see the doctor at about 1:00 PM.  That was about 5 hours worth of waiting!

The diagnosis? Gluteus medius strain.  What he's asked me to do? Take Celebrex 400mg for 2 weeks, have 3x a week PT sessions for 2 weeks and apply Fastum 3x a day for 2 weeks.  I should be better after.  We'll see.

I asked if I should run my marathon Sunday.  Well, he said no.  HONESTLY, I feel like my body can take all 42kms already (of course I will have to take it slow, meaning goodbye to my dreams of a sub 5 marathon, there will be other runs for that).  I woke up this morning and voila - no pain! I think it was the Celebrex that did the trick.  Although I do think that I was probably about 80% healed when I saw him - thanks to the rest I did.  He didn't firmly say no, like I would be killing myself if I did run... more of like a preventive/cautious no... Which I figured he said only so that he won't be to blame if anything happened to me - knock on wood (I can't go back to him and say hey Doc you allowed me to run, why am I more injured now?).

It's Wednesday today and I was supposed to run in the gym - an easy 5km but decided against it.  I will run on Friday though, just to test drive my legs and feet, make sure I still got it even after almost 2 weeks of not running.  If I'm already much better now, I should be at my best on Sunday.  I know I'm probably undertrained, having done only one 32km, but I'm banking on the good vibes and positive energy I'll be receiving from the people around the race route and organizers!

So grateful the Lord has allowed healing for me, but until then, I'll still be praying for complete recovery.  Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment