Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Still On The Ham Issue

So I said I woke up with no pain after Coach Salazar's massage, right? Well, that's partly true.

Saturday - massage (he told me to rest until Tuesday and try running then)
Sunday - no pain when I woke up, but was sore from the massage
Monday - walked normally already.  I know Coach said to wait until Tuesday but I attempted to run in the gym but to no avail.  It still hurt - no longer the hamstring area but the butt, not quite sure if it's soreness or really still in pain.

I left the gym feeling super down, and emo about the entire situation.  I was thinking, how could I have stupidly injured myself training for my marathon?!?? What did I do wrong??? Could CA be right that it was all just because I hadn't done any massage ever? I don't want to think of that as the case, since I know so many other runners who do not have massages done regularly.  My husband (also mentioned by Coach S) thinks it's the additional weight I've put on.  Yes, I've already lost a lot of it, but I'm still about 20 lbs. heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight.

So anyway, I was sulking in the car and that annoyed my husband.  So he gave me a long lecture with the following points:
(1) You may love running, but running is not your life! There are so many other aspects of your life that are going well, so don't let running affect you this much.
(2) So what if you paid 3 grand for the marathon? If your legs can't do it, don't push yourself.  There are so many other runs in the future.
(3) You can still do the run but don't push yourself - just walk/run! Or only what your body can take.
(4) You did a great 21km at Condura and if your body tells you to stop at that, then stop.  You won't be a lesser you if you back out from TBRDM.

My husband is not a man of many words.  Usually, I'm the one who does the talking but when it really counts, he knows the right things to say :) I slowly got over my sadness and decided that this was what I was going to do (as also suggested by my marathoner friend Victor): rest for the remaining (9) days, run  an easy 5km on the 22nd and then do the marathon on the 24th.

Okay, I think I can do that.  I'm going back to Coach S tomorrow for my 2nd and last deep tissue massage.  Hopefully that will cure me entirely, or at least, enough to be able to do TBRDM.  Praying for healing!

Seeing my fellow aspirants tomorrow at the Dream Marathon send-off party! Going there after my session with Coach Salazar.  Should be fun to see friends doing TBRDM, too:

Van
Jun + Van's Milo running clinic friends (don't remember the other names)
Aimo
and barefoot runner/college friend Victor

:)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Beth!

    I hope you are recovering well. Rest pays off so don't stress too much about it. Your husband is right in everything he said. On marathon day, just have as much fun as you can. Enjoy the moment, even the ugly parts coz they always make great stories. Even when you find yourself cursing the hills, even when you're too tired, even when the sun seems relentless and when you find yourself questioning what the heck were you thinking registering for a marathon...it's all part of the great story and when you cross that finish line..it'll be all worth it. A lot of people will be there to support you. TBRDM will take care of you but more importantly, listen to your body. Don't give up. I know you'll be awesome. Goodluck and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete