Sunday, February 10, 2013

HAMsakit-sakit!

I've been abala for the past few days thinking about many things... the pile of papers to check on my desk, the upcoming marathon and how I'm going to finish it and the biggest worry the past few days... my hamstring :( Since I haven't been blogging, here's the timeline for that:

Sunday - Condura 21k
Monday - felt okay... body was sore but no specific pain
Tuesday - status quo
Wednesday - started to limp and question whether I could do CA and I's usual Wednesday training run

My hamstring, starting from my mid-butt area hurt so bad and I really had difficulty walking, even my students noticed.  CA still wanted to see me and try if I could run so we met up.  It was really too painful then and even while running, it wouldn't go away so we decided to just walk 5km.  Since time immemorial, CA has been asking me to go for a massage since he says it will help make me run better.  Get this, I've never, EVER had a massage so I was tinatamad to do it! But this injury, if you can call it that pushed me to call Intercare ASAP.  I scheduled a myotherapy massage for Thursday afternoon.  Even left school earlier than usual so I could make it to the only available slot - 3:00 PM.  

Before the doctor saw me, a lady came in the room I was led to and asked me to change to the robe.  She made me stand facing the wall and took photos of me using an iPad - I was in my undies and quite uncomfortable, at that.  I think she sensed it because she said, "Para makita ni doc yung alignment mo." Carrying the iPad with my photos, Dr. Guab then identified my problem - tight hamstring.  It was weird seeing my semi-naked body on the iPad hahaha but helped to see that obviously, looking at how I stood, there was discomfort on my right side.  I was recommended for myotherapy and stretching (both what CA asked me to have done).  Too bad the one who does stretching wasn't available.  Therapist came in for myotherapy and I had my hour-long massage.  Save for a few moments where there was a tiny bit of pain, it was pretty relaxing and calming.  I did feel better after, and, well, body felt less tense!

Left the place feeling happy and hopeful that I could do my scheduled long run of 32km the coming weekend.  NOT.  #1, recovering from a tight hamstring isn't that easy, or quick.  #2, I woke up the next day still with the same pain + limping leg :( Honestly, I was devastated and although I tried very hard to hide it, CA got annoyed with my 'panic texts'.  So much for hiding it :))

I did my research and came across Aileen's blog.  A 20-something ultrarunner who once had pain in her hamstrings too.  She went to a certain Coach Tito Salazar who's apparently notorious for his excruciatingly painful but effective massage that cause his 'victims' to shout/cry/squirm in pain.  I immediately e-mailed Aileen and can not be grateful enough for her prompt reply.  I love it when runners are so kind to each other! <3 Anyway, within the day, I found myself texting Coach Salazar and asking for an appointment.  Oh, I also asked Dennis about Coach Salazar and he said the same thing - super painful massage.  I was thinking, if a big tough guy like Dennis considers his massage painful, what more me?!! Then again, I've always claimed to have a high tolerance for pain - daw! Plus, with the marathon only 2 weeks away, I was desperate!!!

Okay, going back, I had my husband go with me yesterday morning 6:30 AM (yaaawn) to see Coach Salazar in Ultra.  When we finally met, he led me to this empty space for my death massage.  He rolled out a mat and asked me to lie on my stomach - and the torture massage began.  

For the most part, I was biting on my towel and pushing A at his hip (he was seated on the floor, in front of me).  No, I did not cry but the towel helped A LOT.  Apart from the massage, Coach Salazar also gave me lots of tips (first was to avoid oily food so I can lose a little more weight and put less stress on my legs when running, he mentioned sweets first but I've already given that up, so, he moved on to anything fried).  Now, over a day after the massage, my right hamstring and butt are both bruised (pasa) but mostly free from pain! Miraculous!!! Aileen said to think, "the more painful it is, the more effective" INDEED! 

Coach Salazar asked me to rest Saturday and try running Tuesday then go back to him one last time on Wednesday.  

I guess this is another proof of one of my mantras, "if it's not easy, it's not worth doing!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment