Saturday, March 16, 2013

My 5th Batch: Phoenix '14

Out of all the academic years, I think this year went by the fastest! It was probably because I was 24/7 busy with something teaching/running/family-related.

Since this batch was in their first year, my good friend Jen has always raved about them (Phoenix '14).  After she handled the batch in their freshman year, she told me, "Abangan mo sila! Sobrang okay na batch!" And when she was eventually assigned to teach H3, she genuinely looked forward to having them again as students.

Of course we all know that didn't go as planned because, well, God had other plans.  So I became their third year teacher instead.  Well, it was a great year.  Like each school year, I meet a wonderful mix of students: some crazy, some straight, some really smart kids, some street smart ones, some smart Alec's, some witty students, some hard-headed ones, some awkward kids, some great athletes, some hyper kids, great writers, awesome talents...and the list goes on.

Inasmuch as I would have also wanted to be a stay-at-home mom to be with my months-old baby, my heart also somewhat belonged in the classroom where I could be with the students and do my share in helping them live a better faith life.  I'm glad to say that sacrificing time with my son to continue being a teacher was worth it.  I say this from the bottom of my heart - I sincerely enjoyed every single day with the batch and would do it all over again if I have to.

If you are reading this, Phoenix, Ms. Beli was right, you girls were worth the wait.  Thank you for the many classroom memories we all made, thank you for bearing with me when I had to limp because of some running injury, for listening to my stories and experiences (as if naman you could 'turn off' your hearing sense), for accepting me in spite of my weirdness (and my long ummmm's), for writing all those heartfelt reflection papers, for cheering for me whenever you'd see me run around ICA, for sharing your lives with me and listening to me share mine with you :) Most importantly, for inspiring me every single day to be a better me - a better mom so that my kid/s will grow up to be as smart and talented as you girls are, to run better and eat healthy so I could encourage you to do the same and to teach in the best possible way because you deserve no less.

Here's a special shout out to III-Mercy the only class that made an effort to actually write thank you notes to their teachers.  Much, much, much appreciated <3

To me, teaching is not just a job.  It's an opportunity for me to change the world in my own little way... because I believe that to make a difference, you simply have to go beyond yourself and give love to others.  Everything I have done this year (yes, even the scolding, lecturing and giving of SBFs), I have done out of love.  If you recall Randy Pausch and his Last Lecture, he says, "Your critics are the ones telling you they still love you and care.  Worry when you do something badly and nobody bothers to tell you."

Thank You Phoenix/Batch 2014 for a school year to remember.  God bless you <3

Much love,
Mrs. Guce

4 comments:

  1. coolest adviser yet! :-)

    aww cher, I won't be there anymore to keep reminding you to blog about Liam every once in a while and not just about running (hehe although you really amaze me with all the running). But I'll still be your #1 supporter on your blog hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Marianne. Your class made it quite easy to be an adviser :-)

      I hope I 'amaze' you enough to start running as well! Enjoy the summer!

      Delete
  2. Aw, thank you so much for the shout out Mrs. Guce!!! I'm so sorry I was so pasaway in your class! You were such a great teacher and I'm so happy you don't regret handling us. Thank you for giving us a chance to prove everything good people have said about us as well as erase all the bad comments. I will always remember all the stories you've told us and I think I'm actually going to miss your "umms". You were and always will be a great teacher and I'm so happy to have had you as a teacher this school year! I promise, you will be bugged by me in the hallways whenever I see you! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this sweet comment, Cassie :)

      Go ahead and bug away. I'll see you around :) Happy summer!

      Delete