Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Yaya Blues

I've had the same yaya for Liam since his birth.  Actually, she came about 2 days before I gave birth! Talk about timing.  She was referred to us by my uncle's midwife.  Thirty-seven years old, mother of 2 and separated from husband.  Although she's never ever been a yaya/househelp her entire life, she did take care of her kids (21 yo and 7 yo) as well as her pamangkins.  

The thing is, I've been thinking of changing yayas for Liam for the longest time.  Here are my top reasons why:

1) My mom hates her.  According to my mom, if it were up to her yaya standards she would not have stayed with us for this long.  

2) Our cook, who is older than her and more experienced, has been teaching her how to do things better and she hardly listens.  Case in point: For Liam's meals, she prepares lapu-lapu fish with congee.  Lita, our cook, has been telling her repeatedly to transfer the fish to be used from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before so that it could thaw a bit and would be easier to cook/prepare.  So far, it's been 5 months since Liam has started on solids and she has NEVER done it.

3) I bought floor mats for Liam to use, so he could play on the floor and practice his crawling as well.   I told yaya to give Liam about 30-45 minutes per day to stay and play on the floor.  So far, she has done it maybe 5x since I told her to do so.  When did I instruct her? Maybe 7 months ago.

4) I caught her forgetting to give Liam's vitamins maybe thrice already.

5) She used to make Liam wear a bib while taking his meals but for the past couple of days, she has dropped the bib and I even caught her using Liam's sando to wipe his face! :( She used to always carry around a lampin, too.  Not anymore.  Tinatamad na ata, kasi the more she uses lampin/bib/etc., the more she has to wash, too! (Yaya washes Liam's clothes, etc. on Saturday mornings)

6) She moves too slow! 

Actually, the list goes on but I think I've made my point clear.  Basically, I'm happy that she loves my son and is very patient with him.  But as a growing baby who's almost a toddler, I think we'll be needing more from a yaya.  I need someone more active, one who would take more initiative and a teacher who can also discipline Liam, with tenderness. 

So, my husband and I have decided.  When yaya goes home for a vacation this summer, I will tell her not to come back anymore.  The problem now is, how.  How does one go about firing a househelp.  If you know better, please do enlighten me!    

I need divine intervention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment