Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Different Kind Of Joy

Over a year ago, I went to the OB-Gyne for the first time because my period was too irregular.  After a series of visits and an ultrasound, we found out I had polycystic ovaries.  I didn't quite understand what that meant but all I knew was that the older I got, the harder it was for me to conceive.  I didn't think it would be an issue since I was already engaged then ;) But all along, I prepared myself for having a difficult time in getting pregnant.

So you can imagine how surprised I was to see this:


This was just yesterday! I took another test today that showed more visible lines - I guess it makes a difference when you actually take the test.  I was told to take the test first thing in the morning for the most accurate results.  When I saw the positive result, I immediately thought of how I had just taken an x-ray just last Thursday! I know that taking an x-ray was a no-no to pregnant women due to the radiation.

Because of this, I rushed to my OB-gyne today to get answers.  According to her, we'll really only know as the pregnancy goes on - whether or not it ends up in a miscarriage.  Otherwise, if THAT doesn't happen, it should be okay.  On most cases, one x-ray shouldn't really affect the baby so much - after all, it's still a tiny sac! The heart beat should be evident in 2 weeks (when I'm due again for another ultrasound).

According to today's ultrasound, though, I'm 4 weeks and 3 days pregnant and will be giving birth approximately April 23, 2012.  Hubby (H) got his wish: A baby born on the year of the Dragon! :-P

I'm still having mixed emotions about the pregnancy.  I'm scared because it's such a huge responsibility having to carry this baby for 9 months - I'd have to take extra (x100) care of myself! I am also thinking of running and my supposed 21km-run in October, which of course, is now out of the picture.  I asked my OB-gyne about running and pregnancy (since I have a run this Sunday).  She thinks it's generally okay but does not encourage me to run since it's my first pregnancy and everything should be observed and watched closely.  Will still have to find a way to break it to AA, hehe! Aside from feeling scared and not quite being ready to say goodbye to running... the stronger feelings are that of excitement and gratitude.  Grateful that God has granted us this blessing and excited because I know that God has given me the best person in the world to go through the next 9 months (and forever) with ;)

I'm pretty excited for this time two weeks from now since I'll already be able to hear the heartbeat! :-) Until then, prayers, please!

1 comment: