Sunday, December 02, 2012

QCIM & Some Firsts

Now I can finally say it - I finished my 2nd half-marathon!!!

First half-marathon: May 2011, 2:35
Second half-marathon: Dec 2012, 3:00

I know, I know.  My time sucked, but I'm still so happy I finished it! A half-marathon at 7 months post-partum! :)

Many firsts in this run...

1.  First time to run in QC
- It's always been in MOA or BGC and for the first time I experienced running along Commonwealth and UP.  When the hosts were showing us the route, all I remembered was "u-turn at Wilcon".  Because of that, while on Commonwealth, all I could think of was, "Where are you Wilcon????" Never been that happy to see Wilcon!!!

2.  First time to run a 21km
- It's my longest post-partum distance so far! Prior to this, the farthest I've ran was about 18kms, I think! So I'm mighty happy to have finished a new distance.

3.  First time to join a race ALONE
- I usually pick Leslie up before a run and we get dropped off at BGC.  Today was different since only I registered for this race.  My usual running girls were in different places this morning - Les was at home, sleeping (hehe) and Van joined Nike We Run.  It was weird to be waiting for the gun start alone, not having anyone to chat with and share my worries and anxieties.  But it was also fun, I guess, to have so much time for myself, concentrate on the run and my breathing.  After the race, I waited around for CA who was to run the 42km distance.  I waited around until 9AM only to find out at about 10 that he didn't wake up in time for the race! Boo!

4.  First time to use my NB shoes in a race
- Not bad! :) In addition, I also wore new socks (bought last night from Nike).  They were dri-fit PED ones which were in pretty colors - pink, purple and white.  A pack costs Php 465, not bad! I slabbed on a generous amount of petroleum jelly on my soles, worried that I might get blisters.  In fairness, I didn't get any AT ALL! :) :) :)


**

Well, that's all I remember.  The best part of the race for me was at about KM 7-8 where I felt like I could go on forever (too early to feel this way, I realized)! I kind of got disappointed when I saw that at the 15km mark, I was already at 2:00! How's that possible when I walked so much last weekend for Run BGC (15km) and also finished at 2:00?? My pace today must have been much, much slower! I think I was mostly running at 8:00 - 8:15 pace.  At about KM 17, I wanted to cry already and I kept asking myself, "WHY DID I GET MYSELF INTO THIS??? AYOKO NA!!!" I was thirsty, water was not in sight, I was feeling a bit hungry and my legs were cramping up a bit.  Now, I've never experienced cramping so I didn't know what to do! I stopped a bit and stretched my legs and continued running, that worked, I wonder if that was the right way to treat it.  I was looking for bananas but, nothing! If my memory serves me right, they gave out bananas at around KM 8! Quite premature, if you ask me.  I was so tired that I was thisclose to begging this guy in front of me for one of his GU Gels which he was holding on to (he had 3, I think!) I was walking alongside this guy at KM 18 and we chatted for a bit, going uphill.  Turns out he's part of Congressman Pacquiao's staff and so is his wife.  We kept talking until I heard on Nike Running app that I had already ran 19, I told him, "Tara, takbo na tayo!" He made me go ahead so I left him na.  When I saw that I had only 1 KM left to go, I gave it my all and sped up as much as I could! If only not to go beyond 3 hours.

PHEW! I know I could have been more prepared for this but this really taught me a lesson on taking speed training seriously as well as those deadly long runs.  In spite of it all, I'm still so very happy and proud of this accomplishment! :)

What's next? Be able to run a better 21km! Hopefully one which I won't have to walk any part of! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment