Thursday, May 10, 2012

Breastfeeding Woes

Apart from "Government Warning: Cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health.", another TVC line that keeps being played over and over again is, "Breastmilk is still best for babies up to 6 months." So, having heard this repeatedly, I thought breatfeeding was the most natural thing in the world.  Natural = easy.  I was so wrong.  I'm not a breastfed baby so my mom can't really give much advice.

Given that I'd be back in work by June, I ordered myself a dual electric pump (Medela Freestyle).  My mistake was that since I got it the day before I gave birth, it wasn't prepared (washed, sterilized, etc.) and placed in my hospital bag.  In the hospital, I had to breastfeed from Day 1-3.

SUCH A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.  If baby wasn't sleeping, he was crying and clamoring for MILK MILK MILK! I had a difficult time making him latch... he would latch, then suck then unlatch and cry wildly.  Then I'd try to find the right timing when he was crying with his mouth wide open and shove my nipple in his mouth to try latching again and he'd be annoyed, and unlatch - basically the same thing for a couple of minutes until he'd finally decide to latch and suck and swallow.  As a first time mom (or maybe all moms in general), it was heartbreaking to hear baby cry, cry and cry! Like I couldn't give him what he wanted! So those were sleep-deprived nights in the hospital (3 nights).  What also added to my stress and frustration was the fact that my in laws and family would be in the hospital, watching me be frustrated with breastfeeding and looking at me like I obviously didn't know what I was doing.  Ughhh.  Don't get me wrong, they have been very supportive, but it just added to the stress knowing they had their eyes on me.  Like it was my fault that baby was crying!




On our last day, I was telling my OB, Dra. Chan, about my breastfeeding woes and she told me to ask Dra. Tiongson, Liam's pedia about formula/mixed feeding.  I was reluctant at first, being too ideal and having that line from the TVCs play over and over in my mind - Breastmilk is still best for babies.  But H managed to convince me to at least ask Dra. Tiongson about what she thought of it (I guess he didn't like seeing me so agitated).  So we did.  She was very supportive, seeing that we were both so tired, sleep-deprived and stressed out because of the whole ordeal.  She told me, that once I've built my milk supply (hopefully after 3-4 weeks), then I can breastfeed exclusively.  For now, she told me I could offer formula and whatever breast milk I can pump out.

At almost three weeks (he turns three tomorrow), I can now pump a bit more than I originally did.  Well, at least enough now for 2 feedings (about 6oz. in a day, Liam takes 3oz. per feeding now).  I think I've probably bought all possible products to help me breastfeed/pump better!

1) Medela Freestyle Breast Pump

Price: Php 16,500.00
Bought where: Ebay













2) Pigeon Breast Gel - to ease my sore nipples :(

Price: Php 700.00
Bought where: SM Department Store













3) Avent Nipple Shields - I was told by a friend to try this, to help baby latch better.  It works! :)

Price: Php 879.50
Bought where: SM Department Store













4) Moringana Malunggay Capsules

Price: not sure, since H was the one who bought this, but I think about Php 500.00
Bought where: Watson's













5) Fenugreek Capsules - recommended by my baby's pediatrician

Price: Php 645.00
Bought where: Healthy Options




















**

Phew! That's a lot of money spent invested on breastfeeding! Reading blogs about moms who didn't give up and pushed to really make breastfeeding work for them and their bub, I can't help but feel a bit bad about having given up earlier.  I thought I knew enough about breastfeeding prior to Liam's birth but I realized, it still wasn't enough! I still had so many questions.  When Baby #2 comes along (not in at least another 3 years), I will definitely stick it out!

For now, I'm crossing all possible body parts in the hopes of increasing my milk supply soon ;) Until then, patience should keep me sane.

To end, here are 2 photos of the little bub side-by-side...














Day 1 of life || Day 19 of life

...someone's growing up (and chubbier) fast! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment