Monday, May 14, 2012

On Going Back to Running...


It's been almost a year since THIS.  Where am I now? Well, first of all, I realized that although my blog states that I'm "on the run", I haven't been doing any! I know I have the best excuse ever, but enough is enough! It has been 11 months since my last REAL run around the Greenhills area (where I normally run).  Although I have the the best excuse to gain weight and lie low on running, it's still no reason to be unfit and chubchub now that baby is out! So. because having goals work with me and motivate me well, here's my realistic timeline for going back to running and getting back in shape:



June 1, 2012 (Friday)
Enroll in the gym for 1 month only since I'm looking into dropping the gym and eventually enrolling at Bliss Yoga.  I will do brisk walking and light weights for the first few weeks until June 9, 7 weeks post partum.

June 9, 2012 (Saturday)
Start light jogging, hoping to be able to run at least 1km straight by this time.

June 24, 2012 (Sunday)
Join a 5km run!

I'm hoping by this time I'll be well enough for this run.  I'm not so sure how realistic a 5km distance is for me, 2 months post partum but I will still go for it, anyway, I don't mind doing walk-run this time.
















Total of the pregnancy weight I've gained is about 40 pounds (I KNOW, RIGHT).   I've lost 24 pounds according to my post partum check up but still have a LOT to lose.  Gaining 40 pounds is not it, when I found out I was pregnant, I had already gained about 8-10 pounds since the wedding so if I compute based on pounds gained since pregnancy, or, say, since that half marathon, it would be around 50!!! My goodness.

So, let's say I gained 50 and lost 24.  Then that makes it 26 more pounds to lose.  Ideal though (as in for me to reach my ideal weight) would be about 35 more pounds.  So apart from running, of course, I have to fuel myself well, right?

I've never been a healthy eater.  I have tried and pretended to be one but, no.  I am one who loves to eat chips (Doritos, BBQ Lay's, Pringles), drink Coke (Oh how I miss it), eat fast food (hello McDonald's, KFC and Jollibee), mountains of rice at a time, cookies, those ice-blended chocolatey beverages, and the list goes on.  I've had many attempts at eliminating rice, Coke and fast food in my diet but to no avail.  I mentioned missing Coke because it's already been 25 (to date) days since I last had a taste of that ultra refreshing caffeinated drink! Sigh.  I miss Coke, at the same time, I feel like since I've never gone this long without it, might as well continue the streak...? I'm also thinking of having a Coke schedule like maybe once a week? But I know myself better than to even think that having a once-a-week schedule will work.  It's either I have it or I don't.   Still undecided on that, also have to research on the effects of caffeine on breastfeeding.

But anyway, my husband always tells me there's no way to lose significant weight without dieting.  Exercise will work but lessening the caloric intake also has to happen to really see results.  Well, this time around, I have wonderful forms of motivation to lose weight - to be a healthier and fitter mom for my son and to be able to run a marathon with ease before the year ends.

So help me God.  



No comments:

Post a Comment