Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Shields for the Breasts (har har)

These are what you call breast shields :))

Breastfeeding, I've always wondered whether I was using the correct set of breast shields.  You see, the Medela Freestyle Pump comes with 2 sets of shields... Pumping with the bigger set, I feel a certain amount of (tolerable) pain while I'm at it.  I researched on different sites, mostly the Medela website, and found that I'm apparently wearing a size too small! I also found out that having the wrong size of shields can affect the output of milk expressed.  Hence, I contacted Maricel Cua of the Medela House to ask about the availability of Medela Freestyle parts, specifically the breast shields and sizes.  Thank God it was available! I actually told her (through text) about my pumping experience, hoping she could tell me whether I needed a different size or not.  To be entirely sure, she said I could come over and test the different sizes so I'd know for sure if it was right for me or not.  I told her I was still on ge lai so I couldn't just yet.  So, Day 2 of being free from ge lai, I run over to the Medela House and get myself fitted for the bigger shields.  Turns out, I did need them!

My goodness, what a huge difference it makes to have the correct size!!! I tried pumping once I got home and boy did I get more than I usually did, so I'm a happy mommy! Hoping this only gets better!


On a side note, I love how strong the support group is for breastfeeding.  For instance, texting with Ms. Maricel, I was so grateful for how she patiently replied to my queries about breastfeeding and Medela parts.  Also, I chanced upon this blogger who posted about her BF experience, I wanted to get tips and some support so I e-mailed her and she replied promptly, not to mention, with so much information! So, so grateful.


Edit: This morning, got to pump 1.5oz... in 40 minutes, that is, but STILL! :)

Also, I know direct breastfeeding is still the best but for those like me who pump 90% of the time, here are tips to increase milk supply from kellymom.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment